Since the original publication of The Birth Partner, new mothers’ mates, friends, and relatives and doulas (professional birth assistants) have relied on Penny Simkin’s guidance in caring for the new mother from the last few weeks of pregnancy through the early postpartum period. Fully revised in its fourth edition, The Birth Partner remains the definitive guide for preparing to help a woman through childbirth and the essential manual to have at hand during the event.
This completely updated edition includes thorough information on:
- Preparing for labor and knowing when it has begun;
- Normal labor and how to help the woman every step of the way;
- Epidurals and other medications for labor;
- Non-drug techniques for easing labor pain;
- Cesarean birth and complications that may require it;
- Breastfeeding and newborn care;
- And much more.
For the partner who wishes to be truly helpful in the birthing room, this book is indispensable.